Thursday, March 31, 2011
I got word that a family friend became a first time grandmother, so I made a card to send to the proud new grandparents. This was a really neat outline on the "Wildcard" cartridge. I watch "What Not to Wear" now and then, and one episode they were explaining how to put an outfit together "Colour, Pattern, Texture, Shine", and that has been my check list for putting my cards together too. I think that is helping my cards take on added dimensions. This is a good time of year - no need to look for excuses to make cards - lots of Easter/Passover cards to make - hopefully it will be a busy but productive weekend.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
I made a thank you note to send to the woman who made the fantastic and beautiful cookies for the wedding shower. this was actually the second attempt. The first one, I had cut out a very pretty "Thank you" with the Cricut, but it didn't have a shadow option, and on the original card it just didn't pop enough. And the letters were too delicate to put pop dots behind it. So second attempt had a simple stamp (from a new set that I have been anxious to try out). I love the added element from embossing the background paper.
Sunday, March 27, 2011
So this is a project that has been in the works for a few months, but it was a surprise, so it had to be kept under wraps. But as of yesterday, the surprise was successfully revealed, and my sister had her bridal shower (about which she swears she had no inkling).
So, from the top down...
Without revealing too many details, the theme/vision that has come to be surrounding this wedding is quite Victorian. So when my mom, my other sister and I started discussing the wedding shower, the idea of a High Tea came quickly to mind, and the rest just fell into place.
The inviation was made using the "A Child's Year" cartridge, which I think I mentioned before my dear hubby went to great lengths to get for me. The second pic is just the invitation when it is opened.
The teapot card I made to do our thank you favour. I stamped and embossed the "thank you" on the front.
That is a cookie wrapped in cellophane, which is what we gave as the thank you favour. I so wish that I could take credit for those, but they were made by my mom's friend. She does amazing work, and the cookies were very well received.
The last picture is the card I made for the shower, and I was really pleased with how it came out...I was freaking out a little, because while my stash of cartridges has grown, my wedding related images are still a little sparse, but I didn't want to invest in one of the cartridges that are wholly wedding themed, as there aren't a huge glut of weddings in our near future. BUT! I did find this dress on the Gypsy Wanderings cartridge, and got to play with my new Cuttlebug. I bought the Cuttlebug second had, and it came with 2 plates. By complete coincidence, but entirely fitting, the name of the plate I used was "Victorian". So I put the dress through the embosser, and with the help of my new, very bestest friend glitter glue, I went over all the raised parts with the glue. It actually is a little reminiscent of my sister's actual dress.
People were impressed with the invitations, and the thank you cards, and my card received nice comments at the shower. I met one of my sister's friends who has talked herself out of getting a Cricut for years...I think I might have dissolved some of her resolve :)
Friday, March 18, 2011
I think I am beginning to get the hang of this...I obviously want the cards to look handcrafted, but I think I am getting better at having them not look like a 7 year old made them. Not that there is anything wrong with them looking like a 7 year old made them, provided that it was actually made by a 7 year old (or younger). Not so okay when made by a grown woman.
Sunday, March 6, 2011
This really isn't anything fancy, but it was still fun to do. I played with the new foam Fantastix pencils I got to colour in the cake and the balloons. It was okay, but I think I would still like an actual blender pen.
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
Not in terms of technical execution, but in terms of subject matter, this was a hard card to make. I needed a sympathy card, and almost ran out to buy one rather than try to make one, because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make one somber enough. My Cricut cartridges are limited, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to find something appropriate, a lot of things are a little cartoon-y. I changed the background paper in the final stages of the card. I'm happy with the final project, though might have looked for slightly different colours for the medallion (from the Lyrical Letters cartridge) if I had that in the beginning.